Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

labor of love...

My wonderful husband has been "living" in the workshop recently, working tirelessly on our son's dresser.  It has been hard work and he's put in a lot of hours but I think he really enjoyed himself and is pleased with the finished result.  I know I am.  I couldn't be any more proud with out my heart just bursting right out of my chest (I think I may have said that a time or two about my husband and his talents. :)

I tried to document, in photos, the process of building this big, beautiful dresser -- I thought that would be kinda fun to look at, see how it evolved...


Is it not gorgeous??  Aside from our coffee table (my Christmas present 4 years ago), this is the biggest thing that Jeff has built for us so far.  He did an incredible job on this thing -- I mean, it looks like we picked it up from the store and put it together, it's so professional looking.

But no.  I take that back.  It looks WAY BETTER than the one in the store.  I know because I saw it the other night when we were at Babies R Us.  See, I found a crib & dresser set that I liked there and then Jeff took off with it, tweaking it and customizing it to make it into what I really wanted.  That's his specialty.  :)  The original had 3 drawers on the left and a cabinet with a shelf on the right.  We thought we might use the drawers more so we went with that.

Now, if you ask me, he started on this WAY too late.  But I think Jeff must work better under pressure.  To get ready, he took some photos, wrote down some dimensions, made some notes and then got to work.  A month and a half later, THIS is what we have:


This is just perfect.  It's exactly the color I wanted it to be and we have plenty of space in each drawer for Deacon's sweet, tiny little things.  :)  Jeff even built in 2 secret drawers above the top 2 drawers with pulls -- for a fun 5 year old to keep his baseball cards or GI Joes in.  Or whatever.  :)  Whatever boys like to keep in secret drawers.  As long as it's not frogs, snakes or bugs.  Nothing living.  Absolutely not.  :)

This photo of it was taken in the nursery.  On the left side is a sweet, soft, cuddly giraffe with a blanket that Jeff's youngest brother and his wife gave us at a shower.  Just love it.  The right side is the framed ultrasound that Jeff's sister-in-law made for us for the shower she threw us -- you can see that a little bit better here.

I don't think those will stay there once we figure out where "all this stuff" is going to go but for now, I like to look at them.  :)

**If you'd like to see more photos and a more detailed description of the dresser, you can check it out here, where Jeff has a profile and has uploaded a lot of the stuff he's built recently.  This is a place where his fellow wood-working peers can make comments and boy, have they been raving about his dresser.  And rightfully so.  :)**

2 comments:

Melinda said...

The dresser is absolutely gorgeous. I love it! Jeff did a fantastic job.

Momma said...

A priceless heirloom. Deacon will be able to use this for all his growing up years.....and maybe take it with him to HIS home. :D Great job, Jeff!