I had 2 more doc appts today -- one at my OB and one at Wilmington Maternal.
The one at my OB was for a checkup plus the glucose screening. I have been worried about this all week, ya'll. I started Monday, drinking lots of water in preparation for the blood draw that goes with this test and also watching how much sugar I was eating (no ice cream this week -- horrors!). I've read information on this test and they all made it sound terrible -- drinking huge amounts of this really sugary, nasty tasting stuff in like 5 min (read: chugging), having them draw blood. And THEN if you don't fall within the normal range, you have to go back to do even more of that in a 3-hour glucose test!
I wanted to avoid that at all costs.
As I began to ask my girlfriends for prayer about it, they soon put me at ease somewhat, saying it wasn't as bad as all that. So I started not to worry so much about the stuff to drink and the blood draw as just passing the test so I didn't have to take the 3-hour deal.
Well, my girlfriends were right. I had probably a 6-8 oz serving of stuff that tasted like really sweet orange Krush or Sunkist and it was stored in the fridge beforehand so I didn't even have to drink it warm. 8 oz? Well, shoot. That only took me about 30 secs to drink. And it didn't taste all that bad either.
Then (an hour later) they did a finger prick for the blood draw and I always do better with those than with the veins in my arms/hands, etc. She told me that my sugar level was 111 and it needed to be 135 or lower.
Woo-hoo! I passed!
I did have to have blood drawn the "normal" way today -- just for some other tests they wanted it for. My nurse did good with that for the most part. She did stick me 3 times, though. She got one vial of blood from my right arm but then the blood flow stopped. *sigh* She tried the other arm to no avail. She actually ended up getting the other vial she needed from my left hand.
She told me my iron was really good, and she gave me one other number, 36, and said that was really good. I wish I could remember what that was for. She said that most pregnant ladies are on the lower end of the scale (of whatever it was) but that I was right where I should be. :D
*********************************************************************************
My other appt was at Wilmington Maternal with another ultrasound. More pics of our boy. :) Jeff went with me to both of my appts today so he got to see Deacon for himself again. We got another sweet profile shot and a couple of his legs -- he already looks like he's got some muscles! :)
They PA we met with, Cindy, said everything looked great. He weighs almost 2 pounds now and is growing & developing just as he should be. She also said that he has really healthy "juicy" kidneys.
Say what now??
Yeah, she said they were measuring the kidneys because they don't normally see kidneys "this big" at this stage but that that didn't mean anything bad. That it was a good thing. Well...great! I guess. :)
I go back in TWO weeks for my next OB appt -- holy cow, we're down to appts every 2 weeks now, instead of 4?? How did we get there already?? Time is really flying fast...
My next appt at Wilmington Maternal will be in 4 weeks, as usual, and hopefully, I'll be able to combine the 2 appts again like I did today. It's just easier to be out of the office all at once instead of multiple days during the week.
3 comments:
Glad to know that all is well! I go back next week and can't wait! :)
Passing a test is ALWAYS good! :D Woohoo! Can't believe you're already going to be going to the doctor every 2 WEEKS! I'm glad time is passing quickly for you.....it sure is for me!
I have one more 2 week appt and then start going every week!! You talk about time going fast!! I am less than 6 weeks from my due date and less than 5 weeks from my c-section!! Melinda
Post a Comment