Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

24 weeks today...

I'm 24 weeks today, or officially 6 months pregnant.  Whoa.  How did we get HERE already??

Here's the update on what's been happening with the baby from babycenter.com:

Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

Whattoexpect.com has a little bit more to say for this update, so I wanted to share that, too:
 
Your baby is about eight and a half inches long and weighs one and a half pounds, gaining steadily at a rate of six ounces per week. Much of that weight comes from accumulating baby fat, as well as from growing organs, bones, and muscle. Those little ears of his are getting sharper and can hear very loud sounds, from a yapping dog to a jackhammer. Also by now, that fabulous face is almost fully formed, complete with eyelashes, eyebrows, and hair. Is your baby a brunette, a blonde, or a redhead? Actually, right now his locks are white since there's no pigment yet.
 

Funny.  We're eating corn on the cob tonight for dinner.  That puts things into perspective... :)

I know I said at 22 and 23 weeks that people were telling me I was starting to show...I'm still getting that from a lot of folks -- maybe it's the ones who haven't seen me in a while.  They've all been saying, "You're finally starting to show!" or "Look!  You finally have a bump!"  I guess that's pretty exciting.  I think so, anyway.  Jeff asked me today if I was glad to be looking pregnant (showing) or if it made me sad.  I said I was glad.  Maybe people can stop speculating that I'm just "getting a little chunky".  :)  No one has dared say that to me, of course, but you always wonder what people are thinking.  And what else can they think when there's no real evidence of a "baby bump" yet?

Here's what everyone's talking about:

No comments: