We met with our doula, Kelley, last night, for the first official meeting. And had a lot of fun. It helps when your doula is also a good friend of yours. :)
She basically went over some of the stuff that we'd learned in our childbirth class, expounding on certain things and revising others based on her experience. I felt more comfortable revisiting things I had a question about with her, rather than in a class setting. She talked about the stages of labor generally, but also as it pertains to her and what she's here to do for/with us.
She told me to be sure that both Jeff and I were wearing comfy clothes that we "could move in"...yes, we did some laboring techniques last night so that Jeff could see the role that she would assume for me, as well as the role that she expected him to play during labor and delivery. It was GREAT for me! :) Kelley told Jeff that the main thing was to keep me just as relaxed as I could possibly be in that situation (that is, the situation of giving birth to our first child).
She went through some exercises on the ball and with a scarf type thing that serves to relieve pressure if used in the right way. It was pretty interesting some of things she showed us and though I'm not having a lot of trouble with back pain, etc. at this point, I can see how a lot of these things she showed us will really help if/when I do have trouble with that.
We laughed a lot and learned a lot so it was a great experience for all of us, I think. We have some paperwork to fill out and some exercises, etc. to practice for the next month and then we'll have another meeting at the end of the month to review. We may possibly have one more meeting, if we just feel like we need one more before the little one decides to make his entrance.
2 comments:
Really glad Kelley will be there as an extra coach for you and Jeff. Whatever makes you comfortable.... that's key. :)
I had a blast too...it is always so much fun when I am a doula for friends :) I am so excited to meet Deacon!!!!!
Love, Kel
Post a Comment