Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

"dinner" meeting...

Okay, so it wasn't a dinner meeting...it was a breastfeeding class but I didn't want to scare folks with that word just blazed across the title of a post.  Call me considerate.  :)

But yeah, we had Breastfeeding 101 last night at the hospital (same place our other class was).  It was an hour long (not even) and very informative.  Our teacher, Briar, had lots of good information for us and really put most of us at ease about the subject.  We had 14 folks total in the class, 4 of them being daddies.  :)

The first thing that Briar did was pass out some items and some cards that she told us not to look at until she said it was okay.  She had us go around the room, tell what our item was and then tell how WE thought it had anything to do with breastfeeding.  Once we said that, we were allowed to turn the card over and read what the item actually did have to with breastfeeding.  It was really quite interesting to hear everyone's answers as well as the answers on the cards.

Jeff's item was a tape measure.  Do YOU know what that has to do with breastfeeding?  Both Jeff and I had a pretty good idea -- and we were right.  :)  Breastfeeding, specifically milk production, burns between 500-1000 calories a day!  That piece of information right there was worth sitting through a whole hour long class, in my opinion.  :)  But we have heard from our friends who have been able to breastfeed that you really drop the weight fast and are able to bounce back to your pre-pregnancy weight (or even smaller sometimes!) easier if you breastfeed.  Out.stand.ing. 

My item was a (positive) pregnancy test.  And my answer was almost word-for-word what the card said.  *brushes shoulder off*  Your chances of getting pregnant decrease while you're breastfeeding but it is not a fool-proof method of birth control by any means.  We have seen that come true first hand with some of our friends.  Let that be a lesson, Mr. Wenzel.  :)

Briar then passed out some handouts for us to look at and make notes one (which I did) while she spoke.  A lot of the stuff I was already aware of but there were some interesting tidbits of info to learn.  I won't get into much detail because really, if you're still with me at this point, I don't want to make you any more uncomfortable that you already are.  :)

It was a great class and I'm glad we attended.  We have one more class, on baby care, next week and then we should be golden, right?  Got this whole parenting figured out before the kid even gets here, yes?  Ha.  :)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I wish you better luck with the breastfeeding and losing weight, I breastfed both and still have my weight! LOL

Momma said...

This sounds like a great class with lots of good information delivered with some fun! I loved the time spent with you and later with Daniel. Just you and me....in the WEE HOURS OF THE MORNING! :D