I'm 18 weeks today. That seems like a significant number to me. I'm not sure why -- maybe it's because in just a couple of weeks I will be HALFWAY through this pregnancy! Incredible...
We had quite the exciting week this week, finding out I'm carrying a sweet baby boy. And while we've had our excitement, our little guy has been having his own little excitement, growing and developing more and more. Here's how babycenter.com describes his progress:
Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and he weighs almost 7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound.
At the ultrasound on Thursday, they did tell us that he weighs about 7-8 oz so he's right on target according to this description. Our u/s tech told us you could fit him in the palm of your hand right now. I saw Jeff look down at his hand when she said that. Awww.
I haven't felt any movements yet -- not that I know of, anyway. I've heard & read how lots of people describe the feelings of movement so I'm on the lookout for those, understanding that my body is still doing its natural functions, just like always. Hopefully, I'll be able to recognize when it's our little guy soon. :)
As a side note, now that we know it's a boy, we'll hopefully be able to start looking seriously at the things we'll need and be able to get registered soon. I have been looking at crib bedding for both up to now. Having this new information, Jeff and I are working to narrow down our choices. It's kind of frustrating at times since we don't always agree, but exciting and fun, nonetheless, to be planning our baby's nursery!
Here's my 18 week photo:


1 comment:
Woohoo! A sweet baby boy. Can't say a bell pepper is a flattering description, but neither was a fig! :) Thanks so much for doing this blog. I look forward every week to reading it. Fascinating and educational! Can hardly wait for you to get registered! :D
Post a Comment