Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

doctor's appt #2...

I had my 2nd doctor's appt yesterday.  This was my family history "interview" with the triage nurse, Shirley, who was really nice.  She asked all she needed to ask but also offered lots of extra information that I'd need to store away for future use.  In fact, she gave me a tote bag (ya'll know how I LOVE bags!) full of all kinds of information, books, magazines, free formula offers, etc.  Special thanks to both my moms (mine and Jeff's) for sending me all kinds of family history before my appt yesterday -- all of it was very helpful!

After the history interview, I met with my doctor, Dr. Hill, just to talk a little bit about how things were going, to cover any questions I had and to hear the heartbeat!  Oh, how I wish Jeff had been with me (he didn't come because the nurse said he'd probably be pretty bored with all the history stuff) -- I didn't know I was going to get to hear the heartbeat or I would've made sure he came with me.  Dr. Hill assured me that we'd get to hear at another appt so that's good.  It took her a while to find the heartbeat but when it started, it was so cool!  Definitely speedy and healthy.  :)

The last part of my appt was for bloodwork.  Unfortunately, I hadn't eaten anything yet (the appt took A LOT longer than I anticipated) so April, the lab tech (who was also really nice), suggested I go eat some lunch and then come back in an hour to get my blood drawn.  She also said to down the water because that pumps up your veins.  Well, I need all the help I can get because it is NOT easy to get blood out of me.  My veins are very hard to find and by the time the blood starts flowing (always with the butterfly thingy), I sometimes start to feel a little light-headed/dizzy.  It's not usually a fun experience for me to give blood.  But it's a necessary evil so I was just trying to be as cooperative as I could.

Poor girl.  I gave her an extreme challenge yesterday and made her earn that paycheck!  But it's a good thing she wasn't getting paid just on my blood because she couldn't get any from me.  She stuck me twice, once in my left elbow and once in the back of my left hand but each time she got the needle in, my veins moved around/disappeared and she couldn't ever get in.  She was really apologetic and kept asking me if I was okay during the whole thing.  I was fine throughout and I kept apologizing, too.

So.  I have to go back next week to try again.  SIIIIIGH.  I hope this isn't a premonition of things to come.  Because I have a feeling a girl gets "stuck" a lot during her pregnancy...

My next appt will be May 20 with Wilmington Maternal Fetal Medicine -- I've been referred there for an ultrasound because 1) I have a history of blood pressure issues and my bp has been elevated the last 2 times they've taken it (at my first 2 OB visits) and 2) their ultrasound technology is a step up from Carolina OB/Gyn's and they can get a better look at the baby to be sure everything is a-ok.

I was a little concerned about this before I talked to Karen (a nurse at Carolina) who explained all of that (above) to me.  She said the docs/nurses always err on the side of caution -- which I'm totally on board with and very appreciative of -- and that they "do this all the time" (meaning referring folks to WMFM or another office/practice).  That is what calmed me, that they do this all the time.

The good thing is by that point, I will be 16.5 weeks along and hopefully, if our little one is cooperating, we'll be able to find out if he or she is a he or she!  I think we'll have an even better chance because it's a better machine.  Yay!

2 comments:

Momma said...

Such an informative post! You must get your veins from me, 'cuz it takes forever for anyone to find a vein that will work, and they have to use the "butterfly thingy" on me, too. :D I'm soooo excited to find out "if he or she is a he or a she," too. The Kidz Clothez consignment wearhouse opened again last weekend. It's taking everything in me not to stop in yet! :D I pass it e.v.e.r.y d.a.y going to and coming from work. :D

Elizabeth said...

Drink lots and lots of water. It's good for you, the baby and for blood draws. I tried to drink my body weight in ounces each day (so 150 lbs equals 150 ounces of H20). When I got my 40 week ultrasound, the doc was pleased with the amount of amniotic fluid I still had (it decreases towards the end apparently). It also made blood draws easier. I swelled up like a house thanks to water retention, but all of that weight came off in the first month after birth (but not the body, mind you:)).

Also, I was able to hear the heartbeat at every single appointment, so Jeffy should be able to hear it soon. The next ultrasound is really the biggie any way!!!