Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

epidural...

I think I mentioned in one of my posts that once we got our official due date, I'd signed up to get emails from babycenter.com and whattoexpect.com.  And I've been getting them.  Lots of them!  But then again, there's lots of information to learn before our little one gets here, huh?

So I got one yesterday from babycenter.com and in the subject line it said, "Should you get an epidural?"  Some of my girlfriends may have heard me express my feelings on this subject.  For those reading here, I will reiterate.  I feel like I HAVE A VERY LOW TOLERANCE FOR PAIN.  Therefore, I am under no illusions that I will be "trying to do this naturally".  No.  Not this girl.  I'm thinking they can just go ahead and hook me up to the pain meds as soon as I come in the door, right?

Of course, I know that's not how it works, but you get the urgency of my feelings on this subject.  So when I got this email yesterday, I was a little hesitant to read it.  I know that "knowledge is power" but in certain cases, knowledge is scary.  But, my curiosity won out -- it probably is wise to be knowledgeable on this particular subject, yes?

So I read through it.

It gave information on how an epidural works, what the advantages and disadvantages were (note to self: list of disadvantages was a lot longer than list of advantages...) and then it gave information on those who wouldn't have the option of an epidural (those with blood disorders, etc.) -- thankfully, I don't fall into any of those categories.  Epidural is a go.  If I can keep my nerve up.  :)

After the article, there was a link that said, "Watch an epidural needle being inserted".  Seriously?

I sat there for a few minutes really considering whether or not I should watch that video.  Some of my friends have heard me express my feelings on THIS subject, too.  For you guys, I will reiterate.  I.HATE.NEEDLES.  SERIOUSLY.HATE.THEM.  And I don't EVER do them voluntarily.

I really thought I didn't need to watch the video because when I get mine (yes, when, not if), it's not as if I'm going to see any of that happening back there.  However, my curiosity won out again and, against my better judgment, I watched it.

And almost passed out.

I'm not sure if it was the iodine to sterilize that they swabbed all over the girl's back (thought it was blood at first, I promise you) or the GI.GANTIC needle they put in her back to insert the catheter, but whatever it was, I didn't do so well with all of that.  I had already heard stories about how big this needle was and surprisingly, this video showed it being a little smaller than I thought it would be but STILL.  It was a HUGE needle.  And what did I say about needles before?

Anyways, I was fine, almost to the end of the video -- the thing was in and everything -- and then all of a sudden my stomach did a type of flip-flop and I started to get real hot and then to see spots/stars.  Yeah.  Had to put my head between my knees and the whole thing.  Kind of embarrassing but it is what it is.

Despite that, I'm glad I watched it.  It cleared up some questions I had.

And I think I'm still gettin' one.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Epidural all the way, baby!!! With all three :) Two of them weren't too bad - as far as getting the epidural itself. But, I'm not gonna lie, getting the epidural with Angelyn was horrible. I could not relax - and that is major - and the guy who did it hardly spoke English. Not gonna lie, it hurt for nearly the whole procedure (about 15 minutes or so), but I wouldn't take the trade-off for anything. Either way, you're gonna forget all about the pain as soon as you get your little angel in your arms :) So happy for you!

Momma said...

Gotta say, this is NOT my favorite post. :D Maybe you get your hatred (yeah, strong word, but fits perfectly) of needles from me. I didn't have one.....don't know if there was such a thing (you know, back in the stone age :D), or if I wasn't offered one or said no. Whatever. Jen is right....when you hold that little miracle, you absolutely forget everything else! :D In the meantime, you do what works for YOU!

Simon and Margaret Ann said...

I am like you, there was not 'IF' invloved with the epidural. There was a couple in our childbirth classes who wanted to know the 'natural' ways to deal with pain. I don't believe any exist. I am still glad that I got the epidural because I felt NO(absolutly none) pain from labor and delivery. I was one of those few people who got a spinal headach from the epdidural. That was HORRIBLE!! I woudn't wish that on anyone!! Still, I am glad i got the epidural. The needle will be going in your back where you can't see it.

Elizabeth said...

Okay, so you know I wanted to do it all natural, but after 12 hours of Pitocin contractions, I caved and got the epidural. At that point, the pain from the needle going in was NOTHING compared to the horrible contractions I was having. Now, I hear from my friends that have had inductions and also have gone natural that Pitocin induced contractions are a lot harder than natural contractions (although I'm under no illusion that any type of contraction is ever easy or pain free). All that to say, if I had to be induced again, I would get the epi from the beginning. It wasn't that bad going in (although I did have a contraction at the time and that was taking more of my attention) and it gave me almost instant relief, which relaxed me enough to dialate the rest of the way and push. Plus, I think it numbed me when I tore and for the stitches that came later, all good things in my book.

However, I get the chance to go into labor without induction in the future, I'll try without the epi. There is an intermediate step called Stadol which is supposed to take the edge of the contractions. It just made me feel drunk though.

Anyway, you go girl! :)