I had a routine check up today with my OB. Everything went well. I got to hear the heartbeat and meet Dr. Voegel. He's really nice which is what I'd already heard about him. He had a PA student following him today (her name was Lindsey!) and she was nice, too.
She did all the preliminary questioning -- "how are you feeling?", "have any swelling?", "are you eating well?", "do you have any concerns?" Then Dr. Voegel came in and pretty much asked me the same things. He had Lindsey listen for the heartbeat and also measure me, while laying down. That's the first time they've measured me. They didn't share the number or what it meant and I didn't ask.
I think I've mentioned that my blood pressure has been a little elevated at each doc appt and at my last one, they asked me to keep a log of BP readings *sigh*, taking one each day, at different times of the day. Each one that I took, even at home, seemed higher than it should be (in the 130s over 70-80) so I was worried that they would give me grief over it. But Dr. Voegel actually explained to me that the numbers I was getting were pretty normal for someone who is pregnant. He said that for a person who wasn't pregnant, they wouldn't be ideal numbers but that pregnancy increases BP a little just due to the placenta creating extra vascular pressure (or some medical-sounding thing like that). That made me feel A LOT better about things.
My next appt with them is in a month and I have "the dreaded" glucose test then. :] Dr. Voegel said not to fast but not to eat anything real sugary before the test. 10-4.
I have my 2nd appt with Wilmington Maternal Fetal Medicine Thursday where I think they will do another ultrasound to check everything out from a visual perspective. We'll see. Maybe I'll have an updated photo to post!
2 comments:
Sounds like all is well. Another ultrasound? WOW! Another "picture" for my book! :D
Hey It's Melinda....For measuring...your uterus should measure roughly one cm. for each week you are pregnant. I have been measuring about 1 cm. lower the last two times but my Dr. still says it's fine. As far as movement goes...you will definitely know..Grace is a wild child most of the day!!
Post a Comment